INFORMATION ON THE GENERAL DIRECTORATE OF INDUSTRIAL PROPERTY
The General Directorate of Industrial Property (“GDIP”) is the institution responsible by law for the registration, administration and promotion of IP objects, an obligation that derives from the Constitution of the Republic of Albania, from organic law no. 9947, dated 07/07/2008 "On industrial property" as amended, Article 189, as well as strategic documents such as Stabilization and Association Agreement in its article 73, "Intellectual Property".
GDIP is the only institution through which the Albanian state grants patent rights for inventions and utility models, the topography of semiconductor products, trademarks and service marks, industrial designs and geographical indications, recognizing property of these objects’ right in the GDIP, through their registration.
GDIP holds the role of the coordinator of Chapter VII, 'Intellectual Property', where it also reports to the Stabilization and Association Committee, the Internal Market and Competition Subcommittee and the Delegation of the European Union on the progress and activity carried out in fulfilling the obligations derived by strategic documents.Pronësia Intelektuale’, ku raporton gjithashtu në Komitetin e Stabilizim Asociimit, në Nënkomitetin e Tregut të Brendshëm dhe Konkurrencës si dhe pranë Delegacionit të Bashkimit Evropian mbi ecurinë dhe aktivitetin e kryer në përmbushje të detyrimeve që na ngarkojnë dokumentet strategjikë.
So, GDIP is the coordinating institution in all-important strategic documents of the international party and not only.
The Constituent bodies of the GDIP
- The Supervisory Council
- The General Director
- The Board of Appeal.
The General Directorate of Industrial Property (“GDIP”) ensures the granting and protection of the following Industrial Property objects:
- Inventions and Utility Models
- Trademarks and Service Marks
- Industrial Designs
- Geographical Indications
- Topographies of Integrated Circuits
The Trademark Registration Office has been functioning as part of the Albanian Chamber of Commerce since 1957. By Law No. 7819, the activity of the Chamber of Commerce passed to the Patent and Trademark Office, which was established by DCM No. 135, dated 22 March 1993. Today, the General Directorate of Industrial Property is a public institution under the Ministry of Finance and Economy. Its activity is defined and regulated by Law 9947 dated 07/07/2008 "On Industrial Property", as amended.
The protection of the Industrial Property System in the Republic of Albania is based on the national legislation as well as the International Treaties and Conventions to which the Republic of Albania is member.
The main activity
- Administers all procedures for granting and protecting Industrial Property rights.
- Registers the objects of industrial property, in support of law 9947, dated 07.07.2008 "On Industrial property" as amended, as well as the international agreements in the field of industrial property to which the Republic of Albania has acceded/ratified;
- Administers the registers of industrial property objects, in support of law 9947, dated 07.07.2008 "On Industrial Property" as amended, as well as international agreements in the field of industrial property to which the Republic of Albania has acceded/ratified;
- Promotes the registration and protection of the rights of IP objects
- Organizes activities, courses, training and seminars in the field of IP.
- Cooperates with institutions involved in the system of protection of IP objects
- Drafts laws and regulations related to the improvement of the industrial property system following the practices of developed countries.
- Represents in Court for issues related to the administration of industrial property objects.
- Represents the Republic of Albania and fulfils the obligations deriving from bilateral Agreements, with counterpart offices and International bodies and organizations in the field of industrial property.
- Provides appropriate assistance and information services for industrial property objects.
- Organizes activities and information sessions to raise public awareness on the importance of the industrial property system
- Publishes specialized Industrial Property information in the periodical bulletin.
- Publishes various materials and leaflets related to the industrial property rights system
- Provides industrial property training for those interested.