INFORMATION ON THE GENERAL DIRECTORATE OF INDUSTRIAL PROPERTY
The General Directorate of Industrial Property (GDIP) is the institution that has the legal duty to register, manage and promote IP objects. Such legal obligation is provided for in the Constitution of the Republic of Albania, specifically, organic law no. 9947, dated 07/07/2008 "On industrial property" as amended, Article 189, as well as in other strategic documents, such as the Stabilization and Association Agreement, article 73, on "Intellectual Property".
Also, the GDIP acts as coordinator for Chapter VII on “Intellectual Property” and reports to the Stabilization and Association Committee, the Internal Market and Competition Subcommittee and the Delegation of the European Union on the progress and activities carried out in fulfilling the obligations derived by strategic documents.
GDIP holds the role of coordinator of Chapter VII, 'Intellectual Property', where it also reports to the Association Stabilization Committee, the Internal Market and Competition Subcommittee as well as to the Delegation of the European Union on the progress and activity of carried out in fulfillment of the obligations imposed on us by the strategic documents.
In conclusion, the GDIP is the institution in charge for coordinating all-important strategic documents of the international party and not only.
The Constituent bodies of the GDIP are:
- The Supervisory Council
- The General Director
- The Board of Appeal.
The General Directorate of Industrial Property (GDIP) ensures the granting and protection of the following Industrial Property objects:
- Inventions and Utility Models
- Trademarks and Service Marks
- Industrial Designs
- Geographical Indications
- Topographies of Integrated Circuits
The Trademark Registration Office has been operating as part of the Albanian Chamber of Commerce since 1957. Years later, Law No. 7819, the activity of the Chamber of Commerce passed to the Patent and Trademark Office, which was established by DCM No. 135, dated 22 March 1993. Today, the General Directorate of Industrial Property is a public institution under the Ministry of Finance and Economy. Its activity is defined and regulated by Law 9947 dated 07/07/2008 "On Industrial Property", as amended.
The Industrial Property System in the Republic of Albania is protected following the National Legislation and the International Treaties and Conventions to which the Republic of Albania is member.
- Administers all procedures for granting and protecting Industrial Property rights.
- Registers objects of industrial property, in compliance with the law 9947, dated 07.07.2008 "On Industrial property" as amended, as well as international agreements in the field of industrial property to which the Republic of Albania has acceded/ratified;
- Administers the Registers of Industrial Property Objects, pursuing the law 9947, dated 07.07.2008 "On Industrial Property" as amended, as well as international agreements in the field of industrial property to which the Republic of Albania has acceded/ratified.
- Promotes the registration and protection of the rights of IP objects
- Organizes activities, courses, training and seminars in the field of IP.
- Cooperates with institutions involved in the system of protection of IP objects
- Drafts laws and regulations related to the improvement of the industrial property system following the practices of developed countries.
- Represents in Court for issues related to the administration of industrial property objects.
- Represents the Republic of Albania and fulfils the obligations deriving from bilateral Agreements with counterpart offices, international bodies and organizations in the field of industrial property.
- Provides appropriate assistance and information services for industrial property objects.
- Organizes activities and information sessions to raise public awareness on the importance of the industrial property system
- Publishes specialized Industrial Property information in the periodical bulletin.
- Publishes various informative documents and leaflets related to the system of the industrial property rights.
- Provides training on industrial property for those interested.